Christian Education at Greater Framingham Community Church
From: Rev. Dr. J. Anthony Lloyd
The church is committed to partnering with parents and the extended Christian family to ensure that the children and adults of the church have available an educational ministry that will result in the development of Christian Disciples whose spiritual gifts are celebrated and dedicated to the glory of God. Recognizing that we could never give an exhausted list of goals the following statements are suggested as a beginning point in formulating goals for our Christian education ministry:
- CHRISTIAN CONVERSION: Our aim is to lead each unsaved child\adult to a genuine experience of the forgiving and saving grace of God through Jesus Christ. That this experience is followed by baptism, celebration of the Lord's Supper, bible study, personal devotions, and Christian witness and service.
- CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: Our aim is to guide each child\adult into intelligent, active and devoted membership in a church that lives out New Testament principles. That belonging to the extended Christian family in a formal way is biblical and God honoring.
- CHRISTIAN WORSHIP: Our aim is to help each child\adult to make Christian worship a vital and constant part of his\her expanding experience. That worship is about celebration and praising God.
- CHRISTIAN KNOWLEDGE AND CONVICTION: Our aim is to help each child\adult to grow toward mature Christian knowledge, understanding and conviction; this being undertaken through a systematic and formal scriptural based curriculum, taught by gifted and prepared teachers who not only love the Lord first, but love the communication of God's word.
- CHRISTIAN ATTITUDES AND APPRECIATIONS: Our aim is to assist each child\adult in developing such Christian attitudes and appreciations that he\she will have a Christian approach to all of life. Fundamental is a firm belief that the Word of God must inform our behavior, and decision making.
- CHRISTIAN LIVING: Our aim is to guide each child\adult in developing habits and skills which promote spiritual growth and in applying Christian standards of conduct in every area of life.
- CHRISTIAN SERVICE: Our aim is to lead each child\adult to invest his\her talents and skills in Christian service both in the local community and the larger world.
- CHRISTIAN LEARNING AND EMPOWERMENT: Our aim is to instruct each child\adult in the tenants of the Christian faith in a manner that is dynamic, continuous, holistic, and specifically recognizes our cultural heritage and its contribution to the Christian faith.
- CHRISTIAN PARTNERSHIP: Our aim is to partner with parents\ home in educating our children\adults recognizing that the primary responsibility for Christian education rest with the family and the church is called to support this endeavor to the fullest of its resources. Together we can develop mature life long Christian learners.
- CHRISTIAN WITTNESS: Our aim is to develop a commitment in each child\adult a love and ability to witness to the unsaved that belief in Christ Jesus is essential unto salvation.
- CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP: Our aim is to offer Christian opportunities for wholesome fellowship that is age and developmentally appropriate and encourages Christian maturity and responsibility.
- CHRISTIAN LEARNING AND REVELENCE: Our aim is to ensure that each child\adult is equipped to engage this world with a Christian world view that is communicated through sound doctrine taught in a medium of loving relationships and practical application of the Word of God that address the struggles of contemporary life.
What does Victory in Christian Education look like?
I call your attention to the various offerings of the Christian Education Ministry of the church as outlined in the “GFCC Christian Education Ministry” brochure.
In addition I would call for every child and Adult to fully participate in at least one of the following formal on going Christian Education experience[s] that is curriculum based and systematic in approach providing the foundation necessary for Christian growth and development:
- Kingdom Kids Ministry or Adult Sunday School
- Early Childhood Education
- Teen Church or JYC (Junior Youth Connection)
- Wednesday noon or night Bible Study
- Men's or Women's Saturday Bible Study